Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hi THERE

Over the past 30 years or so, discounting Holiday visits and of course the seemingly never ending Frying Pans and Fire trips over the past decade, I really have not spent all that much time back home in Pittsburgh.  

The past few weeks here have really brought back lots of memories for me, both good and not so good.   I have been spending the days running my brother around to his endless Dr. and therapy appointments, visiting with relatives both young and old,  going to Steeler games,  taking walks , watching it snow and WRITING...the writing is going very well by the way.

One of the things that I never really noticed when I was young and I lived here, and that truly annoyed me beyond words on those short trips has now become a very welcome part of my day.  When you dive down the street, everyone waves, whether you know them or not, everywhere you go the people say Hi There, how are doing? More importantly they actually expect an answer, then they listen to the answer and respond with something about there day.  Its amazing, everything takes a little longer but it all seems so HUMAN...I mean I have these kinds of relationships with a few people in HB, but its not exactly the same.  These people seem to remember what you told them and then they ask about that, I think I may be decompressing or something, 

At any rate, we are packing up and heading for Santa Rosa this Tuesday...off to my sister Cindy's for Thanksgiving.  My older sister Carol will be driving over from Durham so it will be the first time all four of us have been together since our mother passed away.  Tara will fly up on Wednesday and one of my nieces and one nephew will be there too.  I am sure it will be a little different than last year at Fancy Nancy's.

I am really really looking forward to seeing the sisters,  I have not seen them since I started this whole dating thing and now that I am taking a break from same maybe they can help me put it all in some sort of perspective.  I have this man habit of tuning out when a phone conversation gets to long winded but am quite capable of listening for hours in person.  Should be late night talks, board games and tons of food, plus the girls like to wait on me, god I miss that part.  Almost forgot about that entirely, that will be sooooo nice.

In case I don't get anything posted before then I really want to wish my blog friends a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING....




6 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Jim,
Happy Thanksgiving right back at ya!!! This is a fun holiday isn't it? Food, food and some other fun stuff i forget now!!

Your plans sound great!! Family rocks!!! I wish i had a bigger family! But still they rock!!!

Have a good one!

Charmaine said...

Hey Pool Boy,

I'm moving to Pittsburgh.

A couple of nieghbours don't like me. One man (because I wouldn't go out to dinner whereafter he called me "stuck up" to my face) and one because I called the police on him. hee hee. I'm NOT a beatch. The dude was building an aircraft carrier (or something) requiring rivet guns, something that cuts metal, table saws and compressors beneath my living room window for 10 years and one day...I just cracked.

Email me your first chapter. charming_mary@hotmail.com

Happy Turkey Day!!!! Oh and I noticed that you are now "semi-retired". Do tell.

Charmaine said...

Where is my first chapter mista?

Tic tock...

SSP said...

ahhh pittsburgh - i have spent some lovely nights at the Wm Penn hotel for work, but other than that, not much else! About the friendly, caring people....yeah...i moved to tucson from NYC and just about flipped out when a cashier said "thank you" AND "have a nice day to me"!!

I am at MY sisters in Michigan. There will likely be a post resulting from this visit - you know how time usually seems to slip by? I feel like I am in a time vacuum :-) Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the waiting upon...

JIMSIGHT said...

I have partial season tickets to Steelers, I split them with one of my cousins, I always stay at the WP the day before and the night of the game. I sent Charming a photo text from the lobby last time. LOL..hope you enjoying Michigan.

Briana said...

I don't like Pittsburgh. I dated a guy from there, and he dumped me. Of course, that has nothing to do with my dislike for Pittsburgh (ok, maybe it does). I do, however, have a fondness for the Steelers. Not because I am a big football fan. But they had Jerome (The Bus) Bettis. My kids' last name is Bettis. They used to ask me if we were related to Jerome (and, if so, if he could get us tickets). When Pittsburgh played Denver, I couldn't help but root for him. I soooo wanted him to get to the Super Bowl. I can't help it. I'm a girl. It's not the winning and losing. It's the human drama. But now that Jerome is retired, I have to root against Pittsburgh again.